How to get a pre-testosterone transgender guy to fall in love with you in five simple steps:
1. Tell him he is attractive. Tell him he is manly, rugged, good-looking, pleasing to the eye, pulchritudinous, adorable. But most of all, tell him he is handsome. Tell him over and over again until the word is engraved into the back of his eyelids. Tell him so many times that when he gets mis-gendered by his family, friends, co-workers, the cashier at the grocery store and the lady at the bank, he can just close his eyes and picture the outline of your lips mouthing the word— “handsome”.
2. When he feels ‘weak’ and ‘unmanly’ because it’s that time of the month when his body points out the fact that he has a uterus, remind him that tampons were once used to plug bullet wounds and that he’s going to need a lot of them with the long battle against dysphoria he has ahead of him.
3. Do not shame him for losing connections with people in his life. Sometimes it’s easier to forget you even have a family than it is to try to explain to them who you really are.
4. Stand up for him. Introduce him to your friends as the name he has chosen for himself. Be confident in who he is. Let him know that you are proud of how far he has come and that everything will be okay.
5. Every single day, remind him that he is not alone.